Thursday, September 10, 2009

Homemade Garlic Ketchup

We ran out of ketchup tonight, and the last thing I felt like doing was taking a bus down to the store (though I obviously didn't mind playing around in my kitchen for the 45 minutes it takes to simmer this up).

1 large (15 oz) can of tomatoes*
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves of garlic
1 tsp tomato paste
¼ cup white vinegar
3 tbsp packed brown sugar
¼ tsp ground allspice
Salt and pepper to taste
small pinch of ground cloves (optional)

*If using diced tomatoes, drain (I reserved the liquid for the next time I make tomato sauce) and blend until smooth. If using crushed tomatoes, use as is.

In a medium saucepan, heat the oil and cook the garlic until lightly brown. Turn the heat up to medium and add the sugar and vinegar, cooking for 2 to 3 minutes until the sugar begins to dissolve. Add the tomato puree, tomato paste, salt, pepper, and allspice, and cook until the mixture reduces and thickens, around 25 minutes. Check to see if more salt if necessary, then allow the mixture to cool (placing the pot in a cold water bath will speed this up). Add the mixture to blender and puree until smooth.

I originally used cider vinegar when I made my first batch, but the flavor was a little too pronounced and overpowered the tomato flavor of the ketchup. I also added 1/8 tsp ground cloves the first time around, which turned out to be waaay too much. I prefer it with just the allspice, or just a small pinch of the cloves.

For a more traditional ketchup, swap out the garlic for a quarter of an onion, chopped fine, or skip the oil and add ½-1 tsp onion powder (to taste) along with the allspice.

No comments:

Post a Comment