Sunday, September 13, 2009

Gluten-Free Chocolate Cupcakes

I've never really freaked out over a gluten-free recipe tasting that much like its gluten-full counterpart, but I had a minor freak-out when I tried these. These cupcakes are moist and delicious and don't fall apart at all and are so, so good.

I read a great review of Elana Amsterdam's almond flour cookbook in my local paper last week and have been into the idea of baking with almond flour ever since, but I also know her recipes can get a little egg-crazy. The almond flour doesn't play a huge role here, since all of the other cake recipes I've seen that are heavy on the almond flour also seem to rely on just a huge amount of eggs to provide structure, but I want to play around with adding at least as much almond flour as starch. For science. (But since it's so much more expensive than other flours, I have no problem keeping it sparse - I just blanched and ground my own for this with some leftover bulk almonds we had in the kitchen).

¾ cup sorghum flour
¼ cup potato flour
1/8 cup almond flour or ground walnuts
3/4 tsp xanthan gum
¾ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup soy or nut milk
1 tsp cider vinegar
½ cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract

In a large bowl, combine the milk and vinegar and let sit for a few minutes. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, xanthan gum, baking soda and powder, salt, cocoa, and cinnamon. Add the oil, sugar, and extract to the slightly curdled milk, then whisk the dry ingredients into the wet until combined. Pour into a muffin pan fit with cupcake liners and bake at 350 for around 18-20 minutes, or until inside is tested to be dry.

These cupcakes rise a good bit - seriously, I've never had a g-f cake recipe rise as much as this one - so only fill the each liner around 3/4 of the way up. Frost with chocolate frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment